Wiebbe Hayes (born about 1608) was a colonial soldier from Winschoten, Netherlands. Hayes became a national hero after he led a group of soldiers, sailors and other survivors of the shipwreck of the Batavia against the murderous mutineers led by Jeronimus Cornelisz at the Houtman Abrolhos Islands (Wallabi Group), off the Western Australian coastline in 1629.
Catherine Hayes was an acclaimed opera singer who was born in Limerick City in 1818. Her life as a child was one of poverty after her family had been abandoned by her father.
Her life was to change in 1838 when the Reverend Edmund Knox overheard Catherine singing. He was so impressed by what he heard that he, along with some other Limerick dignataries, arranged a fund for her to receive vocal and musical training.
After various training in Dublin and Paris, Catherine moved to Milan in early 1844. By November 1845, she had become a great success and appeared in the famous opera house La Scala in Milan.
By 1850, Catherine was touring all over Europe as well as visiting America and Australia. The highlight of her career was possibly a performance at Buckingham Palace in London in front of Queen Victoria. The Queen was so impressed with Catherine’s voice that she asked her to perform an encore. Catherine sang the Irish ballad ‘Kathleen Mavourneen’ to great acclaim.
After concerts in as far flung places such as Hawaii, Singapore and Calcutta, Catherine settled to a life in London in 1856. From there, she would travel between Britain and Ireland, performing concerts and making donations to various charities in her beloved Limerick and elsewhere.She married her manager William Avery Bushnell in 1857 but sadly he died a year later. Catherine passed away from a stroke in August 1861.
Catherine is buried in London. Her home in Limerick, No. 4 Patrick Street is been converted by the Limerick Civil Trust into a museum to celebrate and record her many achievements.
Rutherford Birchard Hayes (October 4, 1822 – January 17, 1893) was the 19th President of the United States (1877–1881). As president, he oversaw the end of Reconstruction and the United States’ entry into the Second Industrial Revolution. Hayes was a reformer who began the efforts that led to civil service reform and attempted, unsuccessfully, to reconcile the divisions that had led to the American Civil War fifteen years earlier.
Born in Delaware, Ohio, Hayes practiced law in Lower Sandusky (now Fremont) and was city solicitor of Cincinnati from 1858 to 1861. When the Civil War began, Hayes left a successful political career to join the Union Army. Wounded five times, most seriously at the Battle of South Mountain, he earned a reputation for bravery in combat and was promoted to the rank of major general. After the war, he served in the U.S. Congress from 1865 to 1867 as a Republican. Hayes left Congress to run for Governor of Ohio and was elected to two consecutive terms, serving from 1867 to 1871. After his second term had ended, he resumed the practice of law for a time, but returned to politics in 1875 to serve a third term as governor.
In 1876, Hayes was elected president in one of the most contentious and hotly disputed elections in American history. Although he lost the popular vote to Democrat Samuel J. Tilden, Hayes won the presidency by the narrowest of margins after a Congressional commission awarded him twenty disputed electoral votes. The result was the Compromise of 1877, in which the Democrats acquiesced to Hayes’s election and Hayes accepted the end of military occupation of the South.
Hayes believed in meritocratic government, equal treatment without regard to race, and improvement through education. He ordered federal troops to quell the Great Railroad Strike of 1877 and ordered them out of Southern capitals as Reconstruction ended. He implemented modest civil service reforms that laid the groundwork for further reform in the 1880s and 1890s. Hayes kept his pledge not to run for re-election. He retired to his home in Ohio and became an advocate of social and educational reform.
Thomas Hayes (1820 – June 23, 1868) was a land owner in the western addition to San Francisco in the 19th century. Hayes Valley in the western addition and Hayes Street are named after him. He was the original franchisee of the Market Street Railway, and county clerk between 1853 and 1856. The franchise for what would become the Market Street Railway was granted in 1857. The line was the first horsecar line to open in San Francisco, opened on July 4, 1860, as the Market Street Railroad Company. The goal was to bring the land to market. The method would be a railway. Thomas Hayes, who owned a large tract in the Western Addition, now known as the “Hayes Valley” and the banking house of Pioche and Bayerque, who held Hayes’s mortgage, ultimately joined with several large property owners in the Mission, to form a business alliance to build a rail line connecting the main part of San Francisco with the old Mission settlement, a distance of three miles.
Thomas Hayes came from Roscarberry, County Cork, Ireland and arrived in San Francisco in 1849. Hayes owned the land where in present day the Civic Center buildings are situated. In 1861 Tom Hayes constructed the first outdoor recreational park—Hayes Park.
In 1868, Hayes was elected as a delegate from San Francisco to the Democratic National Convention in New York. While on board a steamer on the voyage to New York, via Panama, he died on June 23, 1868. Hayes died a bachelor. In his will he left a number of trusts for the benefit of his father and other relatives. The remainder was left to the children of his two brothers, John and Michael Hayes, and to his sister.
John Blyth Hayes (21 April 1868 – 12 July 1956) was Premier of Tasmania from 12 August 1922 to 14 August 1923. Hayes was also the President of the Australian Senate from 1 July 1938 to 30 June 1941.
Hayes was born in Bridgewater, and died in Launceston.
Patrick Joseph Hayes, (born Nov. 20, 1867, New York, N.Y., U.S.—died Sept. 4, 1938, Monticello, N.Y.), archbishop of New York and cardinal who unified Roman Catholic welfare activities under a central agency, Catholic Charities.
After graduate study at the Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., Hayes went to New York City as curate at St. Gabriel’s parish, becoming successively secretary (1895) to Bishop John Farley, chancellor of the archdiocese (1903), first president (1903) of Cathedral College (the archdiocesan preparatory seminary, New York City), and bishop auxiliary to the then Cardinal Farley (1914).
Johnny Hayes was an accomplished runner coming into the 1908 Games taking fifth place at the 1906 Boston Marathon, third place at Boston in 1907, winning the 1907 Mercury A.C. (now Yonkers) Marathon, and taking second place in the 1908 Boston Marathon.1 Joining Bloomingdale Brothers department store in New York City as an assistant to the manager of the sporting goods department in 1905, his long hours — including Saturdays — allowed training only in the evenings on a cinder track located on the roof of the store.2
“The boy who made good in the toughest, most heartbreaking athletic contest in the world is only 19 years old, a slim, little nickeled steel athlete from his toes to the crown of his head. He stands just a shade under 5 feet 4 inches and he weighs 125 pounds. Jack Hayes is as Irish as you find them, with black hair, blue eyes, a good humored and freckled face and a ton of confidence in himself.”
– – – The New York Times, Sunday, July 25, 19081
The London Olympic Marathon captured the attention of the public to such an extent that a worldwide running craze resulted with Hayes and Dorando Pietri at the forefront. In November 1908, professional promotors organized a rematch between the two runners at Madison Square Garden, 260 laps around an indoor track. Pietri won by 75 yards. A second match on March 15, 1909 was also won by Pietri.
Hayes continued to run professionally and was also a trainer for the 1912 Olympic team.